Growing up, we often had fresh tomatoes in the summer from our own backyard garden or someone else’s nearby. My mom would make this refreshing Italian tomato salad to go with a loaf of fresh bread for a quick lunch. Buon appetito!
This is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and hopefully yours.
Ingredients ($3.50 total)
3-4 heirloom tomatoes, chopped up – $2.97
1/4 onion, chopped up – $0.15
1 tbsp olive oil – $0.10
1 tsp oregano – $0.28
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Italian Tomato Salad
1. Toss all the ingredients in a bowl, and ideally let it sit for 10 minutes to get all the flavors mixing together. Serve your Italian tomato salad with fresh bread or, as we did, olive mushroom lentil burgers on homemade burger buns. Enjoy a taste of Italy!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 2 = 4-6 servings
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 17/18
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!