Feijoada is like a Brazilian black bean chili. We added vegan sausages to ours instead of the traditional varieties of meat, and served it with rice. The rich flavors and healing warmth create a wonderful bowl of comfort to nourish all of us.
Today’s reflection is a compassion meditation from the Buddhist tradition:
May I be safe and protected
May I be peaceful and happy
May I be healthy in my body and my mind
May I be free
May I understand my suffering deeply so I can transform it into joy
May you and all beings also be safe, happy, healthy, and free from suffering
I hope you enjoy this recipe, which is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and yours.
Ingredients ($10 total)
2 tbsp olive oil – $0.20
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
4 cloves garlic, minced – $0.15
1 green pepper, chopped – $0.69
1 tbsp chili powder – $0.28
28 oz can crushed tomatoes, blended – $1.59
15 oz can black beans, rinsed – $0.79
1 package vegan breakfast sausages, broken up into pieces – $5.99
Salt and pepper to taste
Rice to serve on the side
Directions for Feijoada
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to soften and get a little bit browned. Then add the garlic, green pepper, and chili powder, and stirfry for another 3 minutes or so.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, black beans, and vegan sausage. Cover and let it gently bubble for 10 minutes or so to combine all the flavors.
2. While the feijoada is cooking, make the rice as you usually make rice. Or you could enjoy it with a fresh loaf of bread. Serve the chili over rice or in a bowl on its own. Leftovers are fantastic too. Feel the love!
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 18/18 (maximum score!)
If any of you amazing home chefs tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!