If you have Polish or Russian roots, your Grandma might be called your Babushka. This recipe is a simply delicious “Babushka stew” with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions, chick peas, rice, dill, thyme, and a bit of plant-based ground meat to bring it into modern times. It tastes like a beautiful bowl of grandmotherly love. Thanks to Isa for inspiration!
I hope you enjoy this recipe, which is part of our 1,000 Food Experiments to create sustainable meals for our family and yours.
Ingredients ($15 for a large pot)
1 tbsp olive oil – $0.10
1 onion, chopped – $0.50
14 oz package ground plant-based meat – $4.99
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced – $0.08
1 tsp thyme – $0.28
5 medium yellow potatoes, chopped – $0.90
5 carrots, peeled and chopped – $0.46
1 small cabbage, chopped – $2.49
1/2 cup rice – $0.18
6 cups vegetable broth – $2.99
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed – $0.99
2 tbsp dried dill – $1.40
Directions for Babushka Stew
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until nice and brown, then add the plant-based meat, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to cook until the “meat” is all broken up and starting to brown.
Next, add the chopped potatoes, carrots, cabbage, rice, vegetable broth, and chick peas. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes to cook the potatoes and rice. The longer you have to simmer it, the better it will taste! Just give it a stir occasionally.
2. When you’re ready to eat, turn off the heat and stir in the dill. Taste and adjust for salt and seasonings. Serve hot and enjoy your loving bowl of Babushka stew! ❤️🤗
Sustainability Score (explained here)
- Time to make: 3 = <1 hour
- Servings: 3 = lots of leftovers
- Cost per serving: 3 = <$5
- Deliciousness: 3 = when are we having this again?
- Environmental impact: 3 = minimal damage
- Nutritional value: 3 = optimal nutrition
- TOTAL: 18/18 (maximum score!)
If any of you amazing lovelies tried it, or have other recipes you’d like us to experiment with, please let me know. Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy day!